bare white

bare white

7.21.2011

Birthday Project for 35

So here is the big reveal to my birthday boy! This is something I have been LONGING to do for years. Since we have been married...8 years...we have lived in 6 different homes - some for a short time, some for even a shorter time.  So we have never had a room for US ...  that room we WANTED to go into and sleep or read or just be. 

SO, for His birthday I knew for awhile what I wanted to do -  the plan of attack started. First on Pinterest for inspiration, then a budget (that doubled along the way:) ) and then the shopping and making and redoing and finishing AND seriously sweating!
I knew I wanted to reuse/paint as much as possible. AND I wanted to shop my house first. Then I made my list and went for it - Target, Hobby Lobby, TJ Maxx and Pier One were my main stops along the way.  I was also determined to NOT pay full price for anything and I think I managed that except for one thing...Praise the LORD!

My source of inspiration  came from the most amazing quilt my grandma made for us a couple of years ago. I knew the color schemes were coming from that, but I wanted to get it off of my bed for awhile since we get so much natural light, I was fearful it was starting to fade. I want to cherish is as long as I live! It truly is amazing!

I painted our headboard wall light gray and the rest of the room stayed the neutral antiquey-white

I did NOT want to spend $50 + on a bedskirt so I started researching no-sew ones online and this is what I came up with. I wanted it neutral but maybe add a little texture so I went with linen. In less than an hour it was done. It took 4 yards of fabric cut in half (long ways) and LOTS of safety pins. I LOVE the outcome. Honestly, it is better than what I imagined!

My mom brought me 4 of these shutters painted blue. I LOVE them, but we don't have blue anywhere in our room so I sanded and painted two of them -  2 coats of gray, then spray painted  2 coats of antique-white (yes my arm/hand still hurts from this) - then I sanded the edges and the final step was staining them.

THIS was fun! See my helpers?? I found an amazing sign I wanted for our room but WAY out of our budget, so I did my own version with wooden frame I put together, a (used) painter's clothe and Burlap. Then I used stencils and black paint and tried my hardest to get is all spaced right...it's not perfect, but I LOVE it and so does 35!

Painted sticks above the window - kind of on a whim, but added to the masculinity of the room

OLD VINTAGE window from The Antique Shoppe I sooo HEART!

 Art work complete...yes you have my whole heart Jase!

Vintage fan

vintage mirror hanging on the shutter

 Love this mirror - clearanced at TJ MAXX - still have a little repair to make on it, but I will need his help to do it

SOLID wood bench - another masculine feature...this thing was HEAVY! 
That is the amazing quilt under the bench

To-be-filled-frames from Organic Bloom - I can't wait to fill them!

Vintage-looking hook for our throw at night so it isn't just on the floor for kids to do something to...trust me they would find a way!

AND the final outcome....for now.  I have a few more things I want to do, but they are a little more involved....board and batten, a little more paint and we'll see what else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment