bare white

bare white

7.28.2011

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here is a little tidbit about me for all of my illinois friends that don't know. I am from Michigan (all of my family, which is a lot,  still live there) and my parents own a Restaurant there - Rykse's Restaurant & Bakery .  I grew up there and from early on I started working there. My earliest memories are working in the bakery with my grandma, covered head to toe in flour...I am sure not much older than Addison. I LOVED it.  As I got older I started hostessing, then serving, then catering and my final couple years there before I go married I was Managing.
They started this restaurant with my Grandparents and Aunt & Uncle 25 years ago. Many of the recipes, at that time, were my grandma Helen's.  It has changed and evolved over the past 25 years.  They have the most amazing desserts and bread and rolls and cinnamon rolls - not to mention the rest of the menu.  I miss it though I am sure my waistline doesn't.  Actually, that isn't completely true because when you work there, most of the time, it doesn't look as good - just because you are around it all of the time.

SO as Arae and Bobo are getting older, I really want to bake with them and teach them all my grandma taught me. Even if it means we are all covered in flour. I have so many amazing memories in the kitchen!

I was talking to my grandma today, in fact, asking her for a few recipes that I really want our kids to carry on.  I am so blessed to still have all of my grandparents alive and healthy...a true blessing!

I thought I would post a recipe I LOVE for chocolate chip cookies. This is not a recipe from the Restaurant or my grandma...those are a secret. But it is a recipe that I LOVE.

Here are a few tips I learned, though, from my grandma and the restaurant :

When making cookies :
- Don't over mix the batter if you want soft, fluffy cookies...this truly makes a difference!
- Cook them until you think they are getting close and take them out. Overcooked, crispy cookies aren't the best...in my opinion. I like them soft and gooey.
- Refrigerate the batter if you don't need it all right away....then you can take them out and have hot ones when you want them



She is so talented....she can cross her eyes two different ways! 

the show stoppers!

Niether one got a shell in...I was SO impressed!! They were pretty happy too!

LOVE my kitchen aid....and the cute hands that start it up!

If you don't have one of these...you NEED one! The best thing in the world for baking anything and it not sticking! Silpat

my Scooper and her many bracelets...she has made several of them and she keeps making them for everyone she knows. I even was gifted one today from my sweet girl!
Also, this is the perfect size scoop!

 Patiently waiting her turn from the crazy boy

Crazy boy! He was in heaven licking that thing...Im just happy no tongue was found stuck in it!

Not too done....perfection!

sit down, and enjoy....two at least! It is not a complete delicacy unless you dip it in milk! okay....maybe it isn't a delicacy to some, but to me (and the kids) we'll take it!

*DJ's tip - freeze them and eat them frozen

Recipe :

3/4 C Shortening (this makes them SO good)
1/4 C butter
1 C brown sugar
1 C White sugar
2 eggs
2 T warm water
1 t vanilla
3 1/4 C Flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
6 oz choc chips

Cream together first 4 ingredients together. Add eggs, water and vanilla. Beat well, but not too long. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well....again, once all beat together stop. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls onto cookie sheet lined with a Silpat. Bake 8 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven when cookies barely start to brown and you think you may need to bake them longer. Leave them on cookie sheet until you can take them off easily...mine are usually still warm but not hot.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

We just finished making these cookies. Some are still in the oven. They are DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Megan. Keep the recipes comin'!

Post a Comment